The Healthcare programme in Surin really is an unforgettable experience and is a great opportunity for you to get to know the real Thailand. Based in a rural province of Thailand you’ll get the chance to work in a small community clinic under the guidance of fully qualified local staff.
Surin is a typical, vibrant Thai town and whilst not as developed as many Western towns it is packed with character and charm. The people are friendly, the food is tasty, spicy, and cheap; and spending time here will be an unforgettable and authentic Thai experience!
Day 1 – Arrival day. Meet your fellow travellers and our team, enjoy the sights and sounds of Bangkok
Day 2 – Orientation and Bangkok Tour. A great day sightseeing and then spend an evening on the famous Khao San Road
Day 3 – Transfer to Surin! You and your group will take the train to Surin. Taking around 8 hours it is an experience in itself. Sit back in the air conditioning and enjoy the journey! Be sure to take plenty of photos as you watch the Thai countryside go by!
Day 4 – 7 – The Healthcare experience begins! You will be picked up at a designated meeting point each morning and driven to the medical program, around 30 minutes away. You will be given time to settle in and discuss with our team and the clinic staff exactly what you can help with and what you would like to observe. An average day would run from 8am to 3pm.
The activities can vary from day to day and will depend on the needs of the patients and the clinic.
Day 8 – Free day! Time to relax, unwind and explore Surin! Our team will be happy to help you organise activities and let you know the best places to visit in Surin and the surrounding area.
Return travel to Bangkok is not included, but our team will help you make arrangements. If you are staying for more than one week you will have the weekends to relax and explore. All weeks on the programme follow the same format: Monday to Thursday at the program, with Friday, Saturday and Sunday free to soak up life in Thailand!.
The clinic is of huge importance to the local community and your help makes a real difference. Exactly what you help out with may depend on your medical background. It also depends on how many members of the local community are coming in to the clinic at any given time. Please be flexible and adaptable as every day may be different to the last.
General day to day duties include:
- Participating in general health checks, blood pressure, weight and BMI
- Screening for Diabetes
- Helping to educate people about health risks and healthy living
- Participating in the school health check program, including educating young students about the importance of basic hygiene healthy living
- Depending on your medical qualifications and experience, you may be able to assist the local staff in diagnosing illnesses and offering advice on treatments. This is subject to the agreement of the Thai professionals on site.
- Packing the medication and medical materials
- Observing and learning from the professional staff working at the clinic